Sunday 31 March 2013

On A Golden Sea...

“What do you think it’s like? Being old I mean.” My younger self muses with feigned thoughtfulness. Everything about this girl is forced and affected. I spent most of those summers pretending to be the next big thing. Even relaxing on this beach her shoulders are still pushed back and she’s arching her spine in that particular way.

“Lots of greying nose hair and a big bristly moustache I imagine. And that’s just for you.” The lazy teasing drawl of her companion untwists the pretentious chit and she throws a discarded shoe at him. Laughter, precious and real, bubbles between them.

Back then of course we had no true conception of time. Young and careless we thought that real life was something that only happened to other people. Being old seems to me now not a matter of increasing years but of multiplying regrets. If I had known what was to come, would I have acted differently? With hindsight it is easy to see how much time we wasted in banality, but we imagined that we had all the time in the world to say everything.

Perhaps in the intervening years we would have grown apart. The overlapping circles of our lives stretching to breaking point. But the suddenness of our separation meant that you have remained by my side as the person you were then. A perpetual youth, a constant friend. Only I have changed and now there is nobody left to share it with.

“You beast!”Her shrill cry echoes as cold water slaps suddenly against her legs. Picking herself up she runs after his chuckling figure. Their silhouettes merge and break as they cavort across the shoreline together. As the salty breeze tugs at the greying strands of my hair I turn away, allowing our younger selves to return to a happier past.

No comments:

Post a Comment