Sunday 20 October 2013

Quote Me

There are those occasional and surprising moments when exactly the right words find themselves arranged on the page in front of you. Somehow, unwittingly, you have captured exactly the thoughts and feelings you wanted to express in the simplest of sentences. As you can imagine this has not happened to me with any great frequency. However, there are instances when I have read something and it has struck me so completely that I am unable to forget it. Arranged below are just a handful of these...

“You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone forever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant.”
Jane Austen, Persuasion
 
“I would sooner let my beard grow to my waist and eat potatoes in Siberia.”
Tsar Alexander I
 
“Her mother was pecked to death by pigeons.”
“That happens,” Alexei said with a nod.
Both Harry and Sebastian looked over at him in shock.
“It is not accidental,” Alexei demurred.
“I may need to revisit my desire to see Russia,” Sebastian said.
“Swift justice,” Alexei stated. “It is the only way.”
Harry couldn’t believe he was asking, but it had to be said. “Pigeons are swift?”
Alexi shrugged, quite possibly the least clipped and precise gesture Harry had seen him make. “Justice is swift. The punishment, not so much.”
Julia Quinn, What Happens in London
 
“Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! - I have as much soul as you, - and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you!”
Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre
 
“Hello Eyeore,” said Christopher Robin, as he opened the door and came out. “How are you?”
“It’s snowing still,” said Eyeore gloomily.
“So it is.”
And freezing.”
“Is it?”
“Yes,” said Eyeore. “However,” he said brightening up a little, “We haven’t had an earthquake lately.”
A.A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment