Sunday 16 September 2012

Of Monks And Men II

Quite a few weeks ago I posted simply this picture of one of my very favourite medieval images - a rather mischievous monk.

British Library, MS Sloane 2435, f 44v.

The manuscript dates to around c. 1285 and was made in northern France. It contains the text ‘Le Regime du corps’ by the Italian Aldobrandino of Siena. The content of this text is reflected in the other large historiated initials, which include depictions of bloodletting and physicians.

British Library, MS Sloane 2435, f 11v.

In my spare time I have been creating an embroidered version of my favourite image, which when completed will sit proudly on my mantelpiece. I have now almost reached the halfway point and thought I would share a photo of my efforts so far.

My very own monk.

No comments:

Post a Comment