Sunday 26 August 2012

Au Revoir

When you visit a place, for however brief a moment, you take stock of your surroundings. Whether it be admiring the architecture, soaking in the atmosphere, or enjoying the scenery. But when you live in a place these things become merely the backdrop to mundane day-to-day goings on.

For the last four years I’ve been lucky enough to have Canterbury as the setting to my insignificant life dramas. As I pack up my belongings ready to leave I wonder what has changed. When did I stop gazing at the Cathedral in awe every time I walked by, when did my feet begin to navigate between the irritating blockade of tourists. I realise that though the buildings might have stayed the same, my affection and appreciation remaining constant, ultimately it is I who has been changed by my time here.

View of the Cathedral

Westgate

Castle

Canterbury Cathedral

St Augustine's Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment